Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
from cooking light november 2010. unsure of time just threw something in.
Make and share this Cheese and Chive Challah recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup warm 2% low-fat milk (100 degrees to 110 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup shredded aged Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Stir in butter, salt, 5 egg yolks, and 3 eggs. Stir in fontina and chives. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 1/4c bread flour and 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour to yeast mixture, stirring until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, adding remaining 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 45 minutes or until doubled in size. Punch down dough; cover and let rise 50 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.).
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Roll each ball into a rope about 15 inches long. Place 3 ropes parallel to one another; braid ropes. Pinch ends together, and tuck under loaf. Repeat procedure with remaining 3 ropes. Place loaves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine 1 egg and 2 tablespoons water, stirring well with a whisk. Brush loaves gently with egg mixture. Sprinkle loaves evenly with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack.