Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Every now and then, my DH goes on a health and weight loss kick. He found this recipe in a book called Belly Off, which is now a firm favourite of his for finding recipes. I use Ainsley's Barbecue Spice Rub#444453 for the rub.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons , your favourite dry grill rub
- 1 lb chicken tenders or 1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 1⁄2 cups red chili beans, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup smoked cheddar cheese or 1⁄4 cup gouda cheese, grated
- Smear the grill seasoning over the chicken, then sear it in a medium hot non stick skillet coated with spray. Cook for about two minutes on each side.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add the beans, tomatoes barbecue sauce and stock and stir well.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with the grated cheese on top.
I was not sure how this dish would go over with the family so I decided to bake the chicken strips in the oven and make the beans as a side dish. I have to admit that when I was looking at the recipe I was thinking - why the heck did I tag this? because it did not look appealing to me. I used black beans instead of kidney beans and let it simmer for 20 min. Well - in fact it was my 9 year old daughter who put it together (she loves to cook) and I noted that she had turned off the stove way too soon. I asked her why and she said 'I gave up on this dish' She thought it did not look like success. Haha. We all started out with a spoon full on our plates thinking it would not be good, but surprise we ended up having the full dish. The cheese served on top is the clincher, do not omit that. I would cook the chicken separately next time as well, because otherwise I think the whole dish would be too 'beany'. But we really liked it and it was funny to see how we all changed our minds about it.