Shelly Morton's Note:
This recipe came from a friend. The casserole is seasoned with Tex-Mex flavors. The whole recipe can be baked a day or two ahead and refrigerated, covered. Reheat, covered, in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped or 2 -4 dashes liquid
- red pepper seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup old-fashioned grits (not quick-cooking)
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 375. Lightly butter 1-quart baking casserole.
- 2Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat until hot. Add onion; saute for about 5 minutes or until almost tender. Add jalapeno and garlic; saute for about 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder.
- 3Increase heat to medium. Add chicken broth. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat to low; gradually whisk in grits. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes or until grits thicken. Remove from heat.
- 4Beat eggs slightly in a small bowl. Quickly beat small amount of hot grits into eggs. Return to saucepan with remaining grits, stirring constantly. Stir in cheese; pour into prepared casserole.
- 5Bake uncovered, in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until golden.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese and Chili Baked Grits
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.1
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 100.5 mg
- Sodium 404.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 11.1 g