Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe came from a friend. The casserole is seasoned with Tex-Mex flavors. The whole recipe can be baked a day or two ahead and refrigerated, covered. Reheat, covered, in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped or 2 -4 dashes liquid
- red pepper seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup old-fashioned grits (not quick-cooking)
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly butter 1-quart baking casserole.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat until hot. Add onion; saute for about 5 minutes or until almost tender. Add jalapeno and garlic; saute for about 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder.
- Increase heat to medium. Add chicken broth. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat to low; gradually whisk in grits. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes or until grits thicken. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs slightly in a small bowl. Quickly beat small amount of hot grits into eggs. Return to saucepan with remaining grits, stirring constantly. Stir in cheese; pour into prepared casserole.
- Bake uncovered, in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until golden.