Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs 45 mins
This is a good dish to serve at a brunch, particularly since all the "hard" work can be done the night before. Note that the cooking time includes a few hours for refrigeration. I think I got this one from the Byerly's cookbook.
- 12 slices bread, trimmed and cubed
- 10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon barbecue spice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Layer bread, broccoli, and 1/2 of cheese in a buttered 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Combine eggs, milk, mustard, spice, and salt; pour over the strata.
- Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven, and sprinkle the strata with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes.
- Add remaining cheese to the top; bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean (about 10-15 minutes).
- Allow to set for 10-15 minutes before serving.
This was good however I found the milk mixture to be a tad dry, I made it in the morning and baked it in the evening, I omitted the BBQ spice and used garlic powder in place of garlic salt, also I used seasoned salt for this and added in some green onions (I have tons in my garden!) thanks for sharing, Kitten:)