Recipe by Nana Lee
Imagine broccoli, cheese and chicken. What a great combo! Velvety soup, crunchy crust French bread and fruit for dessert. Yummy!!!
Top Review by Provl8dy in training
Very nice soup. I made half the recipe. I don't tolerate all-purpose flour so I use oats to thicken the soup. I also added 4 cloves of garlic and half a cup of basmati rice. Will possibly try this after Thanksgiving and substitute the chicken for turkey. Great basic recipe to have handy when a really good, quick soup is needed.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 11 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup light cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5-quart pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Mix in flour, stirring constantly until a thick paste forms.
- Remove from pot, and set aside.
- In same pot, combine water, bouillon cubes, chicken, broccoli, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the flour mixture a little bit at a time until soup thickens.
- Simmer 5 minutes. Reduce heat, and stir in cream.
- Mix in cheese 1 cup at a time, and stir until melted.