1/2 Photos of Cheese and Basil Giant Scones
Our friend Dennis gave us this recipe, we had it at his house a few times. His mother would make scones like this because she didn't like the waste when u use a cookie cutter. Points 3.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk (1-percent fat)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon beaten eggs or 1 tablespoon egg substitute
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Prepare a cookie sheet with a generous amount of nonstick cooking spray.
- 3Combine 2 cups flour, cheese, basil, baking powder, baking soda, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- 4Add buttermilk and oil; mix only until dry ingredients are moistened.
- 5Divide dough into two balls.
- 6Knead each ball gently three times on a surface floured with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour.
- 7On prepared cookie sheet, pat dough into two circles, each 7 to 8 inches in diameter.
- 8With a sharp knife, score each disk 1/4 inch deep into six wedges; do not cut through.
- 9Brush tops of the disks with egg.
- 10Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11Cut each disk into six wedges while hot.
- 12Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese and Basil Giant Scones
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.7
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 6.9 mg
- Sodium 161.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 3.6 g