Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Pommes des Vendangeurs, this divine and very rich potato delicacy is from The Simply French cookbook by Patricia Wells. We often make this dish for Christmas Eve dinner to accompany the roast beef. Perfect holiday food!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9" round baking pan.
- Arrange the bacon slices, spiral fashion, on the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Allow the bacon to drape over the edge and set aside.
- Peel the potatoes, rinse under cold running water, and pay dry.
- Slice into thin rounds, rinse again, and dry thoroughly in a thick towel.
- Arrange one third of the potato slices on top of the bacon, and sprinkle with one third of the cheese.
- Repeat, creating two additional layers of potatoes and cheese.
- Fold the overhanging bacon onto the potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, until the potatoes offer no resistance when pierced with a knife, 40-50 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and transfer it to a rack.
- Let it rest, for 15 minutes, so the potatoes will unmold easily.
- Unmold the potatoes onto a warmed serving platter, season generously with freshly ground black pepper, and serve, cutting into wedges.