Recipe by English_Rose
These little mouthfuls are perfect to serve with drinks, canape style. Sandwiching them together with creamy Boursin adds flavour and is a pleasing contrast to the crumbly texture of the muffins.
- 2 1⁄2 ounces smoked bacon, streaky, roughly chopped
- 10 ounces plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ounce cornmeal (polenta)
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces boursin spreadable cheese with garlic and herbs
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 ounces margarine, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Grease two 12 hole mini muffin tins with a little margarine.
- Cook the bacon in a non-stick frying pan for 3-4 minutes until golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and stir in the cornmeal, sugar, salt and cooked bacon.
- Crumble in half of the Boursin. Crack the egg into a separate bowl and whisk in the milk and melted margarine.
- Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients, taking care not to over mix. Divide the mixture between the mini muffin tins, scatter with the grated Cheddar and bake for 15 minutes or until well risen and just firm.
- Allow to cool, cut in half horizontally then sandwich together with the remaining Boursin.