Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Mom is making this for Thanksgiving breakfast.
Top Review by Lalaloula
What a yummy combination!!! The sweetness of the apple goes so well with the salty and savoury taste of the cheese! Ive been wanting to try this unusual pairing of ingredients for a long time and with your recipe have found the perfect one! Its very, very easy to make and tastes so good! Mmm! :) I reduced the sugar by half as my apple was very sweet, but other than that stuck to your recipe. The scones came out fluffy, crunchy and moist, just like I wanted them to be. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this scrumptious recipe with us, ratherbeswimming! Made and reviewed for the Apple Tag Game Octobre 09.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced peeled apple
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, cold
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°; grease a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, mix the cheese and apples together.
- In another larger bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in buttermilk and mix together just until blended and moistened; fold in cheese-apple mixture.
- Place dough on a floured work surface and knead 10 times; with the palm of your hand, pat dough into a 9-inch circle, then cut into 8 wedges.
- Separate the wedges and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly on wire rack and serve warm.