Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 cup Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup fresh cranberries or 1 cup frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange rind
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Cocoa Drizzle Glaze
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon cocoa or 1 tablespoon Hershey's dutch-processed cocoa
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour three 5 3/4x3 1/4x2-inch miniature loaf pans.
- Stir together chocolate chips, cranberries, pecans and orange peel in small bowl; set aside.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl; with pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in orange juice, egg and reserved chocolate chip mixture just until moistened; divide evenly among prepared pans.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Drizzle Cocoa Drizzle Glaze over top.
- -----------ChocolateDrizzle Glaze--------------.
- Microwave butter in small microwave-safe bowl at HIGH (100) 20 to 30 seconds until melted.
- Stir in cocoa and water.
- Microwave at HIGH 15 to 30 seconds or just until mixture is hot, slightly thickened and smooth when stirred.
- Do not boil.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating with whisk until smooth.
- If necessary, add water, a few drops at a time, until of desired consistency.
- Makes about 1/4 cup glaze.
I also added cocoa powder and I used mini chocolate chips! But I left out the pecans. Thanks!
just wonderful! the only thing i changed was to bake it all in one oversized nordicware fancy loaf pan, so i baked it for an extra 15 minutes. the glaze looked lovely over the design of the cake. updated 11/06- i made these again without the glaze and brought them into the office. everyone loved these and they literally were both gone in minutes. my boss actually asked me for the recipe in case his wife wanted to bake it, lol. if i get a raise i can thank you :) 12/26/08- updating yet again, i've made these loaves for the past 4 weeks now, everyone in my office just loves them. i omit the glaze, but they are sweet and tart and just the perfect seasonal gift.
Very tasty! I wanted it to be more chocolatey, so I added 1/4 c baking cocoa to the batter - wow was it yummy! It was very cake-like and delicious. Thanksf or a great recipe - will definitely be making it again!