Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From a Splenda cookbook. Cook time does not include chilling time.
- 3⁄4 cup ice water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (white or cider)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 7 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tart red cherries, in water, drained, reserve liquid
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 -4 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Mix ice water and vinegar in a cup.
- Place 1/2 cup of flour in bowl and grandually add water & vinegar mixture; mixing well with a wire whisk.
- In another bowl, combine remaining flour and Splenda; add shortening and mix with pastry cutter or two knives until mixture is crumbly (but still binding together).
- Divide dough in half and gently pat each half into a circle on a floured work surface.
- Cover each circle with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Drain the reserved cherry liquid through sieve into a medium saucepan.
- Mix cornstarch and Splenda together in a small bowl and gradually pour into saucepan, stirring well.
- Add almond extract and lemon juice and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Simmer 3-4 minutes to thicken sauce and remove from heat.
- Add 3-4 drops of food coloring (if desired).
- Put cherries in a medium bowl and pour liquid on top, gently folding with spatula or wooden spoon (careful not to crush cherries) then set aside.
- Turn oven on to 375 degrees and spray a 9" pie pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Roll out 1 circle of dough on a floured surface to 11" in diameter.
- Place in prepared pie pan.
- Place filling in the crust.
- Roll out the other circle of dough to 10" in diameter and place on top of filling.
- Crimp and seal edges with fingertips or a fork.
- Prick the top of crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush crust with milk for golden browning.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until filling bubbles and crust is golden.
- Cool for 1 hour before serving.
Tried this recently and really loved how it turned out for me. In fact i had to sneak the last piece before my wife got it ha ha. Thanks