Recipe by Nana Lee
Very Christmassy red and green cherries dot this luscious loaf cake. The pecans add another texture and taste. Very "comfort food" tasting.
- 1 (6 ounce) jar red maraschino cherries
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) jar green maraschino cherries, drained and cut up
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Grease 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan.
- Drain red cherries, chop and set aside.
- Reserve liquid from red cherries only.
- Add water, if needed, to this liquid to equal 1/3 cup.
- Set liquid aside.
- Drain green cherries, chop and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs.
- Add milk, butter and red cherry liquid to dry ingredients. Mix just until combined.
- Fold in red and green cherries, pecans and orange peel.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until bread tests done.