Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another recipe from 'Taste of the South' that I am posting for safe-keeping. There is a frosting recipe included that I will post with this cake recipe as well. The picture of this cake looks really good, I am anxious to bake it! I believe that Cheerwine is a cherry-cola soft drink, 'Zaar wouldn't recognize the name so I used cherry-cola in its place.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups cherry cola
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup cherry cola
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- .Preheat oven to 350*. Grease and flour a 13x9 pan. Mix cake mix, eggs, oil substituting the Cheerwine for the water. Add the almond extract. Pour into the prepared pan and bake as directed on the package. approximately 35-40 minutes.Frost immediately upon removal from the oven.
- Prepare while the cake is baking.
- In a small saucepan combine the Cheerwine, margarine and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil. Pour the hot mixture over the powdered sugar stirring until smooth. Add the almond extract and chopped nuts, stirring to combine.
- Cool for approximately 20 minutes or until lukewarm. Pour over the hot cake.
I only made the cake part, not the frosting. It turned out well as far as shape and texture. Couldn't really taste the Cheerwine so I might add a bit of cherry extract next time. Thanks for sharing!