Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Dad found this recipe in the local newspaper years ago right around Super Bowl time, and I've been making it ever since.The flavors of the ingredients blend nicely and it makes a hearty meal when served with a salad and sliced bread.
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups cabbage, cut in long shreds
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup lentils, sorted & washed
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried)
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced & quartered
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- In a large pot combine soups, water, cabbage, carrots, lentils and basil.
- Add dash of pepper.
- Cook forty minutes, covered.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook twenty minutes longer.
I have made this three times and enjoyed it more each time. First time I did it "by the book" and was amazed how the flavors blended together. The last two times I made it, I chopped the cabbage instead of shredding it. It cooked down a little thicker, which is how I like it. The leftovers are even better the next day or so. Thanks for a great recipe!