Recipe by sugarbaby
My Senior VP gave everybody a small canning jar filled with this one Christmas. I was skeptical but really loved it. Also, I found out that HE had made it--not his wife. So, I figured how hard can it be and had to get the recipe. I make it often at the holidays and leave it in a big bowl for people to grab. You can add just about anything you want to go with the Cheerios. I have used whatever M&Ms or chips/morsels I have at home.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup M&M's plain chocolate candy (any variety) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 250°F.
- Grease 2 9x13-inch pans or jelly roll pans.
- Heat brown sugar, margarine, corn syrup , and salt in 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until bubbly around edges.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat, stir in baking soda until foamy and light colored.
- Pour over cheerios, peanuts, raisins, and M&Ms in 4 quart bowl.
- Stir until mixture is coated and spread evenly in pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Stir, let stand until cool, about 10 minutes.
- Loosen mixture with metal spatula and let stand until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Break into bite-size pieces.