Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Source: Betty Crocker
- 2 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana (2 to 3 medium)
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray, or grease bottoms only of muffin cups.
- Place cereal in food-storage plastic bag; slightly crush with rolling pin to make 1 1/2 cups.
- In large bowl, mix cereal, flours, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir in remaining ingredients just until moistened.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand about 2 minutes in pan, then remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Serve warm if desired.
These muffins are so yummy that I made them twice in two weeks time. I used a brown sugar substitute, 3 very, very ripe bananas and dried cranberries. I shared the first batch with my in-laws and they loved them. I took the second batch to work and my co-workers loved them too. No one could believe that there were Cheerios in the muffins. Oh, I used the multi-grain Cheerios. The muffins had just the right amound of sweetness, are super moist and are perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. I am going to make another batch, wrap them individually and freeze them so that I will always have breakfast even when I am in a hurry. Thanks for another wonderful recipe, Mom2Rose. I will be making these often in the future. Made for October 2012 Aus/NZ Swap.
What a great lunchbox treat and a great way to use up some stale cereal. I subbed some mini choc chips for the raisins and the kids were stoked with these. Thanks for posting!
Really good and healthy. Everyone was a fan in my house. My 3 and 1 year old each asked for seconds. Hubby said he would take this over banana bread with nuts any day. Will definitely be making again.