Recipe by mamamandy
A dairy free version of the creamy Indian dish. Serve over hot brown rice. Yum! (Prep time does not include marinating)
Top Review by bricookie55
We loved this! I paired it with brown basmati rice, broiled the chicken in the oven, then served with broccoli on the side. Wonderful; even my two picky little boys loved it. Thank you!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh cracked pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped and divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (NOT the light kind)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine ginger, garlic, cumin, corriander, cayenne, salt, black pepper, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, lime juice, and 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Add chicken and cover.
- Marinate in fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the broiler or grill to high.
- Place the chicken on to skewers and cook under the broiler or on the grill, turning frequently until well browned (the chicken does not to be cooked through at this point).
- (alternately, you can brown chicken in a hot skillet coated with oil).
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet and saute the onion and jalapeno until they are soft and starting to brown.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Cook on low for two minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Remove chicken from skewers and stir into the sauce.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Taste the sauce to check the seasoning, and add the lemon juice to taste.
- Serve warm over brown rice.
- Garnish with the remaining cilantro.