Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this at another interesting web site, eatchicken.com and was just blown away by how great it is. The end result is worth the time involved. You don't have to fuss over it and can go about something else while it is cooking. One of my absolute favorite ways to serve chicken.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 medium onions, coarsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- In a large fry pan (I use a dutch oven), melt butter over medium heat.
- Add chicken and cook about 6 minutes or until brown on both sides.
- You want some good golden color here, so no skimping.
- Remove chicken to a plate and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of the salt and 1/4 tsp of the pepper, and set aside for the moment.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, parsley and apple juice.
- Add the onion to the pan and stir to coat with the butter/meat juices left in the pan.
- Now add the apple juice-spice mixture to pan and scrap up those crusty bits at the bottom.
- Bring to a boil and return chicken to pan, just nestle it in there.
- Cover and cook over medium about 30 minutes, or until liquid has turned thick and mixture is a deep amber color.
- To serve, spoon onion mixture over or to the side of each piece.
- NOTE-I usually use 3 large onions for this dish, as we just love the end result, but the more onions you use can lengthen the cooking time.
- I usually will let the mixture boil for 3 to 5 minutes before returning the chicken to the pan and reducing the heat to medium.
My husband who loves onions,loved this recipe! It is very easy to make and also inexpensive. I bought the spices in bulk which cost about 60 cents altogether. I served this with a garlic flavored rice and freash green beans. I enjoyed this very much and will make it again. DianaS
Very good recipe overall. The onion sauce is so delicious over mashed potatoes. I think that was my favorite part. I ended up using a few different spices that I thought would compliment this dish as this is what I had on hand. 1/8 tsp Ginger, 1 Tsp Onion Herb Seasoning by Mrs.Dash, 1/8 tsp Corriander, 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder ( I didn't have parsley & rosemary). I didn't taste the apple juice in this recipe (if it's there it's subtle) at all for those of you whom are wondering what taste this creates. I was looking for a different meal and I got that and I was happy. Thank you Deborah for sharing the recipe.
My dear Deborah1 – lovely, savoury and the only change I made was the addition of unsweetened apple sauce to thicken the liquid which was very thin as my Dutch oven is quite large and required a good amount of liquid to accommodate the chicken and onions. I may try the addition of dried apple slices during the last 15 minutes of cooking! Lovely sweet/savoury flavour!