Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe hails from "Breaking the Food Seduction" by Neal Barnard, MD. It's high in protein, low in calories and dairy free!
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces firm silken tofu, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup plain soymilk
- Place vegetables and water in a large soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
- remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Transfer in small batches to a blender and puree (carefully!) until smooth.
- Reheat in a soup pot over medium high heat, stirring often, until hot.
- Do not boil.
This is very good! I did make a few adjustments, but I don't think any of them drastically altered the flavor. I left the potato and carrot unpeeled for nutrients, which left the texture of the soup not entirely smooth. This did not bother me, but if you have texture issues, I would recommend peeling. I also added a clove of garlic to the veggies and omitted the garlic and onion powders. Finally, I added a couple of dashes each of Pickapeppa and hot sauce. This soup actualy tastes unhealthy (very rich), but it is obviously very healthy!