Recipe by Sharon123
What a lovely combination of ingredients! Mmmmm-mmmmmm! Adapted from Cook Now Serve Later cookbook by Reader's Digest. New England, Mid Atlantic, Canadian
Top Review by Alskann
Delicious! Wonderful flavor. Not too sweet, goes great slathered in cream cheese! I did use craisin instead of fresh cranberries as I could not find fresh, but it was still delicious. Thanks Sharon for another great recipe.
- 709.77 ml sifted flour
- 314.66 ml sugar
- 11.09 ml baking powder
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 29.58 ml grated orange rind
- 29.58 ml grated lemon rind
- 78.07 ml cold vegetable shortening
- 1 orange, juice of, plus
- 1 lemon, juice of, adding water to make 1 1/8 cups
- 354.88 ml sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 354.88 ml fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped (or frozen)
- 236.59 ml walnuts, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir in orange and lemon rinds. Cut iin the shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture is like coarse meal.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the mixed juices, cheese, and eggs. Add to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined; do not overmix. Fold in the cranberries and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 9"x5"x3" loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely. Serve warm with butter or cream cheese. Enjoy!
- To store:.
- Wrap snugly in foil or seal in plastic bags. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Freeze up to 3 months.