1/2 Photos of Cheddar Walnut Cranberry Bread
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
What a lovely combination of ingredients! Mmmmm-mmmmmm! Adapted from Cook Now Serve Later cookbook by Reader's Digest. New England, Mid Atlantic, Canadian
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup cold vegetable shortening
- 1 orange, juice of, plus
- 1 lemon, juice of, adding water to make 1 1/8 cups
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped (or frozen)
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat your oven to 350*F.
- 2In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir in orange and lemon rinds. Cut iin the shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture is like coarse meal.
- 3In a medium bowl, stir together the mixed juices, cheese, and eggs. Add to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined; do not overmix. Fold in the cranberries and walnuts.
- 4Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 9"x5"x3" loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely. Serve warm with butter or cream cheese. Enjoy!
- 5To store:.
- 6Wrap snugly in foil or seal in plastic bags. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Freeze up to 3 months.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Walnut Cranberry Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4734.0
- Calories from Fat 1932
- Total Fat 214.7 g
- Saturated Fat 66.3 g
- Cholesterol 600.9 mg
- Sodium 3912.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 609.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.4 g
- Sugars 286.6 g
- Protein 113.0 g