Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great for those cold winter evenings.
- 2 cups boiling water, salted
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 pinch rosemary
- 1 pinch hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chives or 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Put water in pan; season with salt. Add potato, onion, carrot; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Do not drain.
- In another pan, melt butter; blend in flour. Gradually stir in milk and cook, stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Add vegetables and liquid, tuna corn and spices.
This was really, really good! I changed just a few tiny things: I added about 1 1/2 cups extra water, because the roux seemed to really get too thick; added one stalk of celery, diced finely and added to the potatoes and carrots; I left out the rosemary and hot pepper sauce due to finicky small children; and I used an 8-oz. bag of shredded cheddar cheese, which was more than cheesy enough for us. Results -- still basically the same recipe, and cheers and near-applause from the family as they ate it. I will definitely keep this recipe and make it again. Thanks, Mika G.!