Recipe by Olha
This is a soft corn bread type texture that needs to be served with a spoon. It is excellent with roast chicken, roast turkey and roast pork. It is often served spiced up with Jalapeno peppers and is also excellent warmed up the next day. This recipe makes excellent leftovers.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup of hominy corn (both found in cans) or 1⁄2 cup creamed corn (both found in cans)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to approximately 375°F and have ready a casserole dish, approximately 8x10 inches, lightly buttered.
- In a clean saucepan, melt the butter and lightly sauté the finely diced onions. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper and salt.
- Add the milk and bring to a simmer. Add the cornmeal and work briskly with a wooden spoon to prevent any lumps. Cook the cornmeal for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring gently over low heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Next add the cheese, the egg yolks and the corn and stir well so that everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Whisk the egg whites so as they are at a soft peak stage and then incorporate 1/3 at a time to a corn mixture.
- Pour everything into the casserole and bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes prior to serving.
- Chef Michael Bonacini.