Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Nice ripe tomatoes stuffed with bread crumbs, garlic and cheese...mmmmm...mmmmmm! From the Cabot cheese folks! This recipe is Southern, and also Northeastern and Australian!
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cabot salted butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (about 4 slices firm wheat bread)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (or extra sharp)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place rack in upper part of oven and preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly butter a shallow baking dish large enough to hold 8 tomato halves.
- Pull off stems and cut tomatoes in half crosswise. With a teaspoon, scoop out and discard the seeds. Lightly salt interiors of tomatoes and set upside-down on paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high, add bread crumbs and continue stirring until crumbs are golden, about 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer the crumb mixture to a bowl and stir in cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into tomato halves and set in prepared dish.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and filling is lightly browned on top. Serve and enjoy!
These were so good Sharon! I stuffed some giant Beefsteak tomatoes from my garden and they were beautiful as well as tasty. I am pretty sure I used more cheddar then the recipe called for (I didn't measure the cheese after I grated it) Loved the flavors and even the 5 year old ate them! Thanks for posting!!!
Yum, I think your description Sharon nicely sums things up! Have to admit I was too lazy to use fresh breadcrumbs but it worked well with crumbs from a 'fresh' packet. I cooked on the vegetable rack of a BBQ with the hood down, and the only change I made to the recipe was to not use any extra salt because of the cheese.