Recipe by Sharon123
Nice ripe tomatoes stuffed with bread crumbs, garlic and cheese...mmmmm...mmmmmm! From the Cabot cheese folks! This recipe is Southern, and also Northeastern and Australian!
Top Review by NcMysteryShopper
These were so good Sharon! I stuffed some giant Beefsteak tomatoes from my garden and they were beautiful as well as tasty. I am pretty sure I used more cheddar then the recipe called for (I didn't measure the cheese after I grated it) Loved the flavors and even the 5 year old ate them! Thanks for posting!!!
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cabot salted butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (about 4 slices firm wheat bread)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (or extra sharp)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place rack in upper part of oven and preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly butter a shallow baking dish large enough to hold 8 tomato halves.
- Pull off stems and cut tomatoes in half crosswise. With a teaspoon, scoop out and discard the seeds. Lightly salt interiors of tomatoes and set upside-down on paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high, add bread crumbs and continue stirring until crumbs are golden, about 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer the crumb mixture to a bowl and stir in cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into tomato halves and set in prepared dish.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and filling is lightly browned on top. Serve and enjoy!