Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this on a card at an event promoting Wisconsin grown potatoes and dairy products. It is from Sargento Cheese. I have not tried it yet.
- Bake potatoes in preheated oven 55 minutes or until tender. Cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat. Cook broccoli and onion in drippings over medium high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Holding potatoes with a pot holder, cut off top 14 of potato (lengthwise). Reserve top for another use. Scoop our potatoes into a large bowl leaving 1/4 inch shells.
- Combine potato pulp with bacon, vegetable mixture, salt and pepper. Stir in a cup cheese. Set aside.
- Pace shells in 2 quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon potato mixture into potato shells, mounding over shells. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with salsa or sour cream, if desired.
This made a full (and big) meal for me tonight and, boy, was it good. I used low fat turkey bacon cooked in the microwave, fat free cheese and fat free sour cream. I must confess to being lazy and just cutting the potato open and and packing all the goodies in onto it. It worked for me and was yummy. I layered first the onions, broccoli, cheese, sour cream and the bacon on top. Worked perfectly for me :D.