Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Vegetarian Times, September 2002. This is great served on crackers, wheat or rye bread, pitas, and bagels. It is also good for making a veggie wrap by spreading it on a tortilla, topping with chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce and sprouts, and rolling it all up. Prepare 24 hours in advance and refrigerate. Serves 6.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 -5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 2 -3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup chopped pimiento or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, roasted and peeled
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (optional) or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Soften cream cheese in bowl with fork. Add cheddar, mayonnaise and mustard and blend well.
- Add pimiento, onion, thyme and parsley, if desired, and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and let mixture stand for at least 30 minutes before serving.
We liked this. I made it to go with crackers and fresh veggies. I liked the chopped roasted red peppers instead of pimentos. I could taste the mustard last night when I made it but I couldn't taste it when I spread it on a bagel this morning. It was definately better the next day. Thanks for posting, yum.
I really liked this recipe. It was simple and quick to put together. Others enjoyed it...but I'm not completely sold on the flavor of the thyme. I used the lesser amount of dried thyme and it was still pretty strong. I may leave it out next time. I served mine on stone wheat crackers. Thanks for posting!
I made this with light cream cheese and light cheddar and very much enjoyed it. Used fresh peppers rather than pimientos for a little extra crunch. Thanks for sharing the recipe.