Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this from one of my cookbooks, and didn't see any recipes on 'Zaar for a cheddar spoon bread so enjoy!:)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup regular cream of wheat or 3⁄4 cup instant cream of wheat or 3⁄4 cup quick cream of wheat
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (may use low fat if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In large saucepan, over high heat, heat water to a boil; slowly sprinkle in cereal, stirring constantly.
- Return mixture to boil; reduce heat.
- Cook and stir until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted, then milk, egg yolks and pepper.
- In small bowl with electric mixer, beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form; then gently fold egg whites into cheese mixture.
- Pour into greased 8x8-inch baking dish and bake at 375°F for 30-35 minutes until set and browned.
This just didn't work for us. Making it, it looked delicous, but the final outcome was a tad disappointing. There wasn't much of a Cheese flavor, it was mostly just the flavor of cream of wheat. The DH eats ANYTHING, and it threw this in the garbage :(. I'm sure alot will like this, but not us, thanks for the recipe though!