Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This bread is moist and very flavorful! My family requests for our get togethers and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- In large saucepan combine milk and cornmeal. Cook, stirring constantly, over med-high heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly; remove from heat. Add cheese, butter, baking powder, sugar and salt; stir until cheese melts.
- Seperate eggs. Add yolks, one at a time, to cornmeal mixture, stirring after each addition just until combined (mixture will be thick).
- In mixing bowl beat egg whites into the cornmeal mix with mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Stir about one third of the beaten egg whites into the cornmeal mix. Gently fold remaining beaten egg whites into cornmeal mixture until combined. Spoon ino an ungreased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 325 F for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Serve immediately!