From Land-o-Lakes: "These flaky, cheesy bites are easy to make and store well." These are our favorite. The possibilities are endless: sesame seed topped, more heat (spices), no salt, garlic-flavored, etc. NOTE: Chill time of 2 hours+ has not been added to preparation nor bake time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup land-o-lakes butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 cups land-o-lakes sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 8-ounce package)
Optional Topping Ingredients
- 1Combine flour, butter, salt and red pepper in medium bowl; beat at medium speed until dough forms.
- 2Add cheese; mix until a ball forms.
- 3Shape dough into circle; wrap in plastic wrap.
- 4Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- 5Heat oven to 350.
- 6Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. (It will be hard to roll at first, but will soften. Press together any cracks that form on edges of dough.).
- 7Cut dough with 1 1/2-inch cookie cutters or pizza cutter into desired shapes.
- 8Place onto ungreased baking sheets.
- 9If toppings wanted:.
- 10Beat one egg white and water together in small bowl. Brush cut-outs with egg wash; sprinkle with seeds.
- 11Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until very lightly browned around edges. Immediately loosen from pan; let cool on pan.
- 12Variations: Shortbread bites can be topped with variety of other ingredients such as chili powder, seasoned salt, fennel seed or herbs.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Shortbread Bites (Crackers)
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.4
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 80.2 mg
- Sodium 563.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 11.7 g