Recipe by CobaltBlueMixer
You can freeze these biscuits once they have been baked, wrapped well, up to one week. Thaw on counter and serve.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2⁄3 cup thinly sliced fresh sage
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat ovent o 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt sugar and paprika. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheddar and sage. Pour the buttermilk, and stir with a fork until mixture just comes together to form a sticky dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, pat dough (with lightly floured hands) into a 1 inch thick round. Divide into 16 pieces transfering to a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg and cream. Lightly brush top of each biscuit with egg wash. Bake 20 - 30 minutes rotating baking sheets halfway through until golden brown.