Prep 20 mins
Cook 17 mins
From an old TOH, these are just a little different from the others posted. Makes an anytime snack or simple appy.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or 2 cups)
- 3 cups crisp rice cereal
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy.
- Slowly mix in flour, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in cheese and cereal.
- Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet (I use Silpat).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until slightly brown. Serve warm or cold.
These were really yummy fresh from the oven. They had a lovely crunchy texture and addictive taste. The cheese and cayenne pepper went really well together and made these the perfect little nibbles. I added some garlic and onion powder and thought that was a nice addition. My rice crispies were of the unsweetened natural kind and I reduced the butter a tad to make these a little less indulgent. It worked out beautifully.
My only small problem with these was that they went soggy quite quickly even though I stored them in an airtight container. I guess Ill just make a smaller batch next time and eat them immediately.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, Nurse Janey!
Made and reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #53 June 2011.
I made 18 rather large yummy snacks. The Cheddar came through beautifully and the cayenne just enough to make my mouth happy. Made for the Aussie/NZ RS#36. TFS
Thank you Nurse Janey, these were delightful! Served with melon balls, seedless cukes and other assorted vegetables. Very nice afternoon snack or for evening get-togethers. These will be served again and again. Thanks again for posting.