Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a nice change from potatoes, and very good too. (prep time does not include cooking the rice)
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs, tossed with
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package directions; set aside.
- In a frypan, saute onion in 3 Tbsp butter until the onion is tender; blend in 3 Tbsp flour, salt, pepper and dry mustard powder.
- Gradually add in milk, stirring constantly, continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened.
- Add in half of the cheese; stir until melted.
- Put half of the cooked rice in a lightly buttered shallow baking dish.
- Layer rice with half of the remaining cheddar cheese, and half of the hot sauce mixture.
- Repeat layers of rice, shredded cheese and sauce mixture.
- Top with buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
I was in the mood for some carbs and this was a tasty carb quencher. The flavorings made it better than some blander rice dishes I've had.
We thoroughly enjoyed this dish. The mustard and worcstersnire is a wonderful addition. The instructions did not say when to add the worcestershire, so I added it along with the onions and butter etc. This is a great cheesy rice dish that I look forward to preparing again. Thanks so much, Kittencal.