Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so good. My mouth is already watering! I wanted to make some this weekend but hubby says wait until cooler weather. I don't know if I can wait that long...
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 5 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb cooked bacon, crumbled
- In large dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and water; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in 2 cups milk, bouillon, salt and pepper. Combine flour and remaining 1 cup milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup.
- Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat.
- Add cheese and bacon; stir until cheese is melted.
I have never been a huge fan of potato soup. I do love this recipe though. It is thick, creamy, and very satisfying. Instead of a Dutch oven I used a large cooking pot.