1/1 Photo of Cheddar potato-beer soup with shredded ham
Hey Jude's Note:
This is a hearty, cozy soup that's great for chilly fall evenings. I like it with lots of the red pepper flakes. You can serve this as a main course for dinner, along with rye bread and apple pie for dessert. Recipe is from the Chicago Tribune.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 baby carrots
- 5 red potatoes, peeled,cut into large pieces
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, red pepper flakes
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked ham, shredded or julienned
- 1Heat butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 2Add carrots, potatoes and onion; cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add salt and pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- 4Add beer; heat to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits.
- 5Add chicken broth; heat to a boil.
- 6Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 12 minutes.
- 7Pour soup, in batches if necessary, into blender or food processor (or use a hand-held'boat motor' blender).
- 8Puree and return to saucepan.
- 9Stir in cheese; heat, stirring, until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- 10Taste for seasoning; add more pepper flakes if needed.
- 11Ladle into bowls.
- 12Top each with shredded ham.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar potato-beer soup with shredded ham
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.7
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 60.9 mg
- Sodium 818.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 20.0 g