Recipe by Manami
Recipe by Grace Parisi. From Minimalist Recipes from Katy Sparks - This recipe originally appeared in April, 2005, issue of Food & Wine Magazine. These biscuits are delicious! With the ham salad they are superb!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, packed
- 1 cup milk
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts, chopped
- 1 small celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and quartered
- 1⁄2 lb sliced smoked ham, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425°F degrees.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, polenta, baking powder, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Using 2 table knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the cheddar, then stir in the milk until the dough is moistened.
- Using 2 large soup spoons, scoop 8 mounds onto the baking sheet.
- Lightly press down on each mound.
- Bake the biscuits for about 19 minutes, until the tops are golden and the bottoms are browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- In a mini food processor, pulse the scallions, celery and jalapeño until finely chopped.
- Add the ham; pulse just until finely chopped.
- Pulse in the mayonnaise and mustard; season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Slice the biscuits; fill with the salad; serve.
- *If you don't have time to make both the biscuits & the salad, in this menu, the ham salad is terrific served on pita bread or crostini cut from a baguette.