Recipe by Faitherbee
This is the best recipe for a stay at home mom on the planet. You are almost guaranteed to have the ingredients on hand and you and your kids will have an easy snack when you run out of goldfish! Notes: Other recipes say to put the flour in first. If you put the flour in first, you will have to add milk or way too much butter to get enough moisture to make the recipe workable. I did this for a year and you get an edible cracker but it's hard and you have to add a TON of chili powder to get a decent taste. Try it this way and you get a nice flaky cracker. Also, I used all purpose flour before and recently switched to whole grain. The grain gives it a much richer heavier taste but the all purpose makes it taste more buttery and light. I've also noticed that using grain makes it much more difficult to roll and cut, the dough doesn't want to stick together. I assume this is remedied by letting the fridge cool the butter or by diluting the grain flour with all-purpose but I like the grain too much to give it up and I'm usually too hungry to stick it in the fridge. My method is to force it, and it always turns out yummy for me! But my motto is to just use whatever's available. For all-purpose, use 2 cups, it will absorb the moisture differently.
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients together one at a time IN ORDER. See my explination in the description. When you are finished you should have a workable dough.
- Roll the dough into lengths about an inch thick. Cut 1/4" sections and set them out on a greased baking sheet. Grease the bottom of a cup and smush them just a little bit so they will smooth out. They can be placed as close together as needed, as long as they aren't touching.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. I eat them right off the baking sheet, the longer they go out of the oven the more bland they become.