Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
A variation on the classic green bean casserole from Southern Living magazine.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped jarred roasted red pepper
- 1 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup French-fried onions, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup Japanese-style bread crumbs (panko)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Melt butter in a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and whisk in buttermilk and remaining ingredients.
- Cook fresh green beans, trimmed, in boiling salted water to cover 4 to 6 minutes or to desired degree of doneness; drain.
- Combine Buttermilk Sauce, peppers, and 1/2 cup cheese in a large bowl; add green beans, tossing gently to combine. Place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch or 3-qt. baking dish.
- Combine French fried onions, Japanese breadcrumbs, chopped pecans, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese, and sprinkle over green bean mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve immediately.