Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
An odd combination but people always ask for the recipe!
Make and share this Cheddar Pear Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 4 large fresh pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shells
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, combine pears, sugar, corn starch and salt.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Combine topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 425° for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Store in the refrigerator.
I am pretty sure my fiance asked me to marry him because of this pie. :)
It is absolutely perfect. I use refrigerated pie crusts so it is super easy. I probably make it every two weeks. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
Definitely a good recipe and a keeper. The cheddar topping compliments the pear flavour which is very delicate. Next time I make the pie I may add just a little lemon zest to enhance the pear flavour. I also want to lower the baking temperature to 350 for a bit longer as the little cheese bits on the topping tend to 'burn' and this takes away from the appearance of the finished product. Mannwill
I seriously had my doubts about this pie but my curiousity got the better of me--and I am so glad it did! What a great pie this is! I used Splenda Brown Sugar Blend both in the pie and in the topping. I also added some freshly grated nutmeg to both filling and topping--we really like nutmeg with pears. I used 3 huge Anjou pears. After reading the previous reviewer's comments, I brushed the pie shell with a lightly beaten egg and pre- baked the shell for about 8 minutes, this seems to have prevented the crust from being soggy.