Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This can also be baked in two small loaf pans.
Top Review by NewAussieMum
Just delicious! I was having a pregnancy craving for cheesy corn bread and this hit the spot perfectly. I added 1 cup corn kernels, 1/2 cup minced ham (cooked in the pan with the onion), and substituted 1/2tbsp black cumin seeds for the same amount of poppy seeds.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 4 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream or 1 1⁄2 cups full-fat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan (shake off any excess flour in the pan).
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet with 1/2 teaspoon salt oven medium heat.
- Add in chopped onions and saute for about 15 minutes, or until pale golden; cool the onions.
- In a bowl mix together flour, cornmeal, cayenne, mustard, baking powder and remaining 1 teaspoons salt.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and poppy seeds.
- In a small bowl beat eggs, the add in half and half or milk; whisk to combine.
- Add the cream/egg mixture along with the onion/butter mixture to the flour mixture, stirring JUST until combined.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 - 1-1/4 hours, or until the bread tests done.