Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Serve with soups, stews, chili, etc.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal or 1⁄4 cup white cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (Wisconsin Mammoth cheddar, if you can get it)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 dashes Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- Position rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 400°.
- Prepare muffin tin: spray indentations/rims with nonstick spray.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat; add in the shallot; cook for 2 minutes until soft and sweet, stirring often.
- Transfer the shallots and any remaining butter in the skillet to a big mixing bowl; cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper together in a bowl; add in the cheddar cheese; toss until it is coated with the flour; set aside.
- Whisk the eggs into the shallots, then whisk in the milk, yogurt, mustard, and Tabasco until smooth.
- Using a wooden spoon, quickly stir in the flour mixture until moistened.
- Divide batter among the tins (it will almost fill each indentation to the top).
- Bake 25 minutes or until the tops are slightly cracked and golden brown; a pick inserted in the center should come out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Set the pan on a wire rack, let cool 10 minutes.
- Gently rock each muffin back and forth to release it; remove muffins from pan and cool them for 5 minutes on the rack before serving.
- *Cheddar Dill Muffins: add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill with the salt and pepper; proceed as directed.
- *Cheddar Mushroom Muffins: decrease the cheese to 1 ½ cups; add ½ cup stemmed and finely chopped shiitake mushrooms or ½ cup chopped button mushrooms to the skillet with the shallot; cook an additional few minutes, or until the mushrooms give off their liquid and it evaporates; proceed as directed.
- *Cheddar Pepper Muffins: decrease the cheese to 1 ½ cups; add 1 (4 oz.) jar roasted pimientos, drained and roughly chopped, with the milk; proceed as directed.