Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Make and share this Cheddar Mashed Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 -2 cup cheddar cheese
- chopped chives (for garnish) or green onion (for garnish)
- Place the potatoes in a 2-quart saucepan with 1 teaspoon of the salt and cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered, until completely tender, about 20-30 minutes. Test the potatoes by piercing them with a paring knife; there should be no resistance. Drain well in a colander, then put back in pot and keep warm.
- Combine the butter, heavy cream and milk in another saucepan and heat gently just until the butter has melted. Keep warm.
- Mash potatoes, slowly stirring in half of the milk and butter mixture. Mash in 3/4 of the grated cheddar cheese and blend in as much of the remaining milk mixture as needed while hand-mashing. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Just before serving, top with remaining cheddar and chives; serve hot.