Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from Better Homes and Gardens. I love macaroni salad, but cheese makes everything better! :) Prep/cook time does not include chilling time. Can easily be doubled for larger get togethers.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄4 cup salad dressing
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain macaroni and rinse with.
- cold water. Drain again.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cooked macaroni, cheese, celery, green bell pepper, peas, and onion. Stir gently to combine.
- For dressing: Mix mayonnaise or salad dressing, sour cream, milk, pickle.
- relish, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss dressing with macaroni mixture.
- Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours. If necessary, stir in a small amount of additional milk.
Yummy! My sister and I were looking for a good basic macaroni salad recipe. We like all the veggies in this one but we made some changes. We added green onions instead of white onions. We also added a red pepper as well as a tin of kernel corn. To give it a bit more taste we added a couple more tablespoons of dill relish as well as dried dill to taste. Thanks!
Delicious! I subbed 1/2 of a large sweet red pepper for the celery & the green pepper. I used Cracker Barrel sharp white cheddar cheese, but would use the orange type next time to make the salad more colorful. I used chopped fresh scallions, both the white part and the green tops for the onion. Don't forget to add some freshly ground black pepper if you like. Thanks for sharing.
Great simple salad! None of us like cold salad so we ate it as soon as it was mixed. I left out the peas and added some chicken. I also added about 3/4 tsp dill weed to the dressing. Great stuff! DH didn't even notice the relish (which he claims to hate!) This is going into my tried and true cookbook!