Recipe by GinnyP
Muy bueno from Gourmet!
Top Review by AngelicFantasia
We love cornbread and I am always looking for different ways to serve it. This is a fantastic way to prepare cornbread (I made it in a skillet). I made it exactly as written and it was a huge success. This is an easy way to make something ordinary into something special and I will not be afraid to serve it to guests. I continue to love your recipes.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped scallion (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely chopped drained pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat 2 well-seasoned cast-iron corn stick pans (or a well-seasoned 9-inch cast-iron skillet) in middle of oven for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg in another bowl and add cornmeal mixture with Cheddar, scallion, jalapeños, and 2T butter, stirring, until just combined.
- Remove pans from oven and divide remaining 2 T butter along corn stick molds.
- Quickly divide batter among molds (about 3 T each) and bake until a tester comes out clean and tops are golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- (If using a cast-iron skillet, pour all of the batter into it and bake 15 to 20 minutes.) Cool corn sticks in pans 3 to 5 minutes before removing from molds.
- Serve warm.