Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Muy bueno from Gourmet!
Make and share this Cheddar-Jalapeno Corn Sticks recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped scallion (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely chopped drained pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat 2 well-seasoned cast-iron corn stick pans (or a well-seasoned 9-inch cast-iron skillet) in middle of oven for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg in another bowl and add cornmeal mixture with Cheddar, scallion, jalapeños, and 2T butter, stirring, until just combined.
- Remove pans from oven and divide remaining 2 T butter along corn stick molds.
- Quickly divide batter among molds (about 3 T each) and bake until a tester comes out clean and tops are golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- (If using a cast-iron skillet, pour all of the batter into it and bake 15 to 20 minutes.) Cool corn sticks in pans 3 to 5 minutes before removing from molds.
- Serve warm.
We love cornbread and I am always looking for different ways to serve it. This is a fantastic way to prepare cornbread (I made it in a skillet). I made it exactly as written and it was a huge success. This is an easy way to make something ordinary into something special and I will not be afraid to serve it to guests. I continue to love your recipes.
DH made these to serve with Chili and they turned out great. Loved the addition of cheese and jalapenos, it just added that extra touch that made them special. Thanks GinnyP for a great recipe.
I originally saw this on Sara Moulton's show on Food Network about 2 years ago....I have made it many times since and it always turns out great. I make it in a small iron skillet. Yum!!