1/1 Photo of Cheddar Jalapeno Bread
Dine & Dish's Note:
This was from the March 2007 issue of Gourmet magazine. I made this tonight and we had it with dinner. I can't wait to toast it and make a sandwich with it tomorrow! A tasty bread with a kick. Can also be made using the dough cycle of your bread machine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cups warm water, plus
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh jalapenos, including seeds and ribs
- 5 ounces coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 ounces finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten with
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Stir together yeast and 1 tablespoon warm water in a small bowl; let mixture stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. (If it doesn't foam, discard and start over with new yeast.).
- 2Mix together flour, salt, oil, yeast mixture, and remaining 1x cups warm water in bowl of mixer at low speed until a soft dough forms. Increase speed to medium-high and beat 3 minutes more. Add jalapeño, 1 1/2 cups Cheddar, and 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and mix until combined.
- 3Scrape dough down side of bowl (all around) into center, then sprinkle lightly with flour. Cover bowl with a clean kitchen towel (not terry cloth) to keep a crust from forming and let dough rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until doubled in bulk, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. (Alternatively, let dough rise in bowl in refrigerator 8 to 12 hours.).
- 4Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and gently form into a roughly 11- by 8-inch rectangle with floured hands.
- 5Fold dough in thirds (like a letter) with floured hands (dough will be sticky), pressing along seam of each fold to seal.
- 6Put dough, seam side down, in an oiled 9- by 5-inch loaf pan. Cover pan with same clean kitchen towel and let dough rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until dough completely fills pan and rises above it slightly, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- 7Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
- 8Brush loaf with egg, then sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons Cheddar and remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano down center of loaf.
- 9Bake until bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Run a knife around edge of pan to loosen loaf, then remove from pan to test for doneness.
- 10Return bread (not in pan) to oven and turn on its side, then bake 10 minutes more to crisp crust. Cool completely on a rack, about 1 1/2 hours.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Jalapeno Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3138.5
- Calories from Fat 1106
- Total Fat 122.8 g
- Saturated Fat 47.1 g
- Cholesterol 391.1 mg
- Sodium 5342.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 388.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 111.3 g