Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Country Home Magazine, a flavorful bread best served warm. Use fresh herbs if possible for a really awesome flavor...ETA...based on reviewer's experiences, shredding the cheese works well too!
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (cut in 1/2-inch cubes OR shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper, allspice and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Stir in cheese, green onions, parsley, dill, thyme, and rosemary.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, and butter and blend well.
- Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until moistened. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Spoon batter into a greased 8x4 inch loaf pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes (toothpick inserted near center should come out clean). Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and cool 30 minutes more. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
This bread is delish! I added only 1 tbsp of melted butter and didn't miss the rest and added chives instead of green onion.
This bread was out of this world delicious. The combination of herbs is outstanding. The cheese makes them over the top tasty! They went so well with "Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon" #484132. Made for ZWT 8/France for the Diners, Winers and Chives team.
This is delicious! All of the herbs we used were fresh except for the dill (we didn't have any fresh dill). We shredded the cheese rather than cubing it and I substituted 1/2 c. whole wheat flour for 1/2 cup of the white flour. I also used 2 T butter and 2 T unsweetened applesauce instead of 1/4 c butter to reduce the number of calories. We used fat-free buttermilk and we also used Splenda instead of sugar. These changes reduced the calorie count by about 53 calories per slice and it is still GREAT! This is a keeper.