Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the November/December 2006 issue of Simple & Delicious. Can't wait for the cooler weather to give this recipe a try!
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water, carrot, and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Stir into undrained potato mixture.
- Add ham and peas; heat through.
Delicious soup! Loved the veggies and the smokiness from the ham. My toddler liked it too. Will keep this in a "to make again" pile! Made for Zaar Cookbook tag.
I love homemade soup and this was wonderful. Thanks will be making this again.