Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Serve warm from the oven with a bowl of soup for lunch or an easy week night dinner!
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 59.14 ml cold butter
- 354.88 ml grated orange cheddar cheese
- 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced or 59.14 ml snipped fresh chives
- 532.32 ml buttermilk or 532.32 ml sour cream
- Sift dry ingredients together; using a pastry cutter, 2 knives or a food processor, cut in butter until only small bits are visible.
- Add cheddar & green onions, tossing until evenly distributed; pour in a cup of buttermilk or sour cream & stir until dough forms.
- Increase liquid if necessary - I used 11/2 cups of full fat sour cream.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, pat until ½ inch thick & cut with a biscuit or cookie cutter or a glass.
- Place about 1 inch apart on a parchment lined baking sheet (or use cooking spray) and bake above the centre of a preheated 450F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.
Measurement for buttermilk should be less, with 1 cup itself it becomes sticky. There is no spice element in the recipe. I added finely chopped green chillies, it it turned out fine.
They would have been good if the measurements weren't completely off. Too bad!
These had a great flavor but the dough was quite sticky. I had to add more flour. I used the buttermilk instead of the sour cream. Perhaps next time I will try the sour cream. Thank you.