Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From TOH: Gougeres—French cheesy cream puffs—are usually made with Gruyère cheese, but I like to substitute a very sharp cheddar for bolder flavor. Give your own twist to this recipe with the cheese of your choice.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh chives, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Stir in cheese, chives and garlic.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 1 inch apart onto greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Bake at 375?° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.