1/5 Photos of Cheddar Gorgeous! Cheese and Onion Bread and Butter Pudding
French Tart's Note:
I have always prefered savoury food to sweet food, and this is a recipe I made up for a savoury version of one of my favourite sweet puddings, Bread and Butter Pudding. This savoury dish is easy to rustle up and makes a tasty supper, breakfast, brunch or lunch dish. Do try to use mature farmhouse Cheddar cheese, a little goes a long way as the flavour is so pronounced. This can be made the night before you need it, for breakfast or brunch, and then baked next morning - a great make ahead meal! NB: Do NOT use standard American style sandwich bread, it is too thin and will not crisp up!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices thick bread (white) or 8 slices wholemeal bread
- butter, softened to spread
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 8 ounces mature farmhouse cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pint milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mixed herbs or 1 teaspoon dried herbs, to taste
- 1Butter 8 slices of bread and make sandwiches with the grated mature cheese and sliced onion. Cut the the sandwiches into four triangles and arrange them standing up with the points to the top, in a well greased baking dish. (Do NOT use standard American style sandwich bread, it is too thin and will not crisp up!).
- 2(Feel free to vary to contents of the sandwiches. If it doesn't have to be a vegetarian dish, some ham would be very nice. Or you might want to put some pickle on the sandwiches, some sliced tomatoes, cooked sausage or whatever you fancy.).
- 3Beat the eggs with the milk, mustard powder, salt, pepper, and the herbs.
- 4Pre-heat oven to 200C or 400°F.
- 5Pour the egg custard mixture over the sandwiches. (If you had any cheese left over, sprinkle it on top. Onion, too if you have any left over.) Allow the pudding to stand for about 30 minutes before baking - you get a lighter pudding.
- 6Bake the bread and butter pudding in the pre-heated oven for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese custard has set and the cheese on the top is golden.
- 7In a nutshell - it's cheese sandwiches with savoury custard poured over then baked in the oven - or savoury bread and butter pudding!
- 8Serve warm for breakfast, brunch, lunch or supper. Can be prepared the night before and baked next morning - bring it to room temperature for about 30 minutes before baking it however.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Gorgeous! Cheese and Onion Bread and Butter Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 533.7
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 216.2 mg
- Sodium 773.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 27.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: